[Source: ‘Jef Tan Yi Yang’ Google Search]
One of the burning questions jobless individuals ponder about is:
How to develop authentic digital professional profile in order to promote oneself?
Well, you have come to the right place, Read on more!
Self-branding is crucial as it enables people to perceive who we are. Whatever we placed online is part of our virtual self which can be searched easily. (See slideshow above)
By treating ourselves like a brand, it helps to develop our online professional profile in the long run.
Watch this video on how to build your brand, create self-awareness with the successful Gary Vaynerchuk.
Another example would be Page 7 of Jobvite article (2014) that talks about how recruiter search for information online. Statistics have also shown that 94% of recruiters use LinkedIn to search for their new employees, making it the most used website.
5 WAYS TO DEVELOP A DIGITAL PROFESSIONAL PROFILE
1) Create an account on work-related platforms such as LinkedIn. (Mashable.com’s Beginner’s guide to LinkedIn). But creating is not enough, you have to manage it regularly and develop your professional identity.
For Social Media, be consistent in your usernames, profile pictures, professional identity so that it can be easily accessible and avoids confusion.
2) Post in the verifiable niche area only. People can be anyone on the Internet (Africa’s King, Astronaut etc.) Hence, when writing and promoting about business and yourself, stick to who and what you are and avoid exaggeration or embellishment about your qualifications.
3) Separate personal from work accounts as you may not know who’s googling you! You definitely do not want your drunk photos/videos to be seen by your potential employer. Am I right?
Create a professional Email for work-related activities, I had an email “email@example.com” and it was created when I was 10 years old. You wouldn’t want to appear childish and unreliable right?
4) DO NOT tarnish your image online! Bear in mind that what’s on the web stays there forever. One very popular example is the Current President of USA, Donald Trump. There is a video of him treating women like objects circulating around the Internet.
This is from CNN LIVE broadcast. Reputation and respect are both affected.
5) Quality OVER Quantity. Having loads of information about yourself may not be a good thing. It would be beneficial to only focus on the key areas. In order to have a professional identity online, you should only put information that is related to the job you are applying for.
For example, if you are looking for a Business-related job, having information that you are a Chess Club member is not relevant!
Now, try re-looking at your online profiles again.
How would you brand yourself differently?
Yours Truly, Jef Tan Yi Yang